Used primarily as a disinfectant in drinking water and in various industrial processes, chlorine dioxide is a highly effective, environmentally friendly microbiocide. Chlorine dioxide is safe, potent, and does not produce trihalomethanes, the disinfection byproduct characteristic of chlorine use.
The HI97779 uses an adaptation of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 23rd Edition, 4500 ClO2D to measure chlorine dioxide concentrations of less than 2.00 mg/L (ppm). When the chlorophenol red reagent is added to samples containing chlorine dioxide, the purple hue from the reagent will lessen. The greater the concentration, the greater the discoloration. The associated color change is then colorimetrically analyzed according to the Beer-Lambert Law. This principle states that light is absorbed by a complementary color, and the emitted radiation is dependent upon concentration. For chlorine dioxide determination, a narrow band interference filter at 525 nm allows only green-yellow light to be emitted and passed through the sample cuvette. As the change in color of the reacted sample increases, absorbance of the specific wavelength of light also increases, while transmittance decreases. Using a pre-programmed curve a result is then displayed.
The HI97779 has an innovative optical system that offers superior performance in accuracy, repeatability, and the short amount of time it takes to perform a measurement. This compact, waterproof meter is extremely user friendly with a tutorial mode that walks the user graphically, step by step, in performing a measurement. The use of a backlit dot matrix LCD allows the use of virtual keys which makes the operation of the meter very intuitive including selecting different units of measure, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
HI97779 is completely waterproof including the cuvette holder that is designed with ridges to protect the optical path from getting scratched by the cuvette and a gasketed battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design fits comfortably in the hand for use in the field or on a table for benchtop use. The LCD is backlit for easy viewing under all conditions.
- Stable Light Source: The internal reference system of the HI97779 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
- Large Cuvette Size: The sample cell of the HI97779 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
- High Efficiency Light Source: LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
- Intuitive Dot Matrix Display: The HI97779 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
- High Quality Filters: Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
- Auto-off Protection: The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order conserve battery life.
- Greater Light Yield:A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
- CAL Check Functionality: Hannas exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
- Chlorine Dioxide Range: 0.00 to 2.00 mg/L (as ClO2)
- Chlorine Dioxide Resolution: 0.01 mg/L
- Chlorine Dioxide Accuracy: +/- 0.10 mg/L +/- 5% of reading at 25 C
- Chlorine Dioxide Method: adaptation of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 23rd Edition, 4500 ClO2 D
- Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source: LED with 525 nm bandpass filter
- Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector: silicon photocell
- Bandpass Filter Bandwidth: 8 nm
- Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy: +/- 1.0 nm
- Cuvette Type: round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)
- GLP: yes
- Display: 128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight
- Logging Memory: 50 readings
- Battery Type/Life: 1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)
- Automatic Shut-Off: after 15 minutes of inactivity (30 minutes before a READ measurement)
- Environment: 0 to 50 C (32 to 122 F); 0 to 100% RH (IP67)
- Weight: 380 g (13.4 oz.)
- Dimensions: 142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0")
The HI97779C is supplied with cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvettes (2), 1.5V AA batteries (3), CAL Check standards, scissors (2), cuvette cleaning cloth, and a rugged, thermoformed carrying case, instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate.